Living With and Managing Sleep Apnea
JIM: I had this problem throughout my life. Driving was always a problem, and I tried to make sure that no place I ever had to go was very far away because I knew I'd fall asleep. Carol Lynn was complaining about snoring and, more specifically, snoring and then long periods of nothing,
and then a gasp when I would, you know, start breathing again. Obviously, I wanted to enjoy my life with my children more than I felt that I was enjoying it. It's Saturday morning, and the kids are at your bed ready to do something, and I'm just like, quot;I gotta sleep, guys. I'm sorry. I can't play with you. I can't do this.quot; And I look back and I'm like, quot;This just can't be right.quot;
I had been talking to my about possibly having depression symptoms. I remember the other thing that I said to the when I went was that I no longer had any dreams. If you're not getting into REM sleep, you have no dreams. And so she's the one who then said, quot;Okay, we're gonna send you for a sleep study.quot; I spent the night there.
The amount of times that I was technically waking, and as low as my blood oxygen levels were, it was extreme. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Surgery, as it turned out, really wasn't a good option for me. The next step was that my did prescribe a CPAP machine. CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure.
The idea is they have to get the air pressure to your nose or your mouth or both in order to keep your airway open while you sleep. Because it wasn't comfortable for me to use, I was not using it as well as I should have been, in some cases not at all for weeks at a time. And things got worse, other symptoms appeared. I felt confused and out of it and just not right.
And I realized that I really needed to figure out a way to learn to live with this contraption. Now I'm at the point where I am consistently using it and have been for a long period of time. I definitely feel better. I'm looking forward to feeling better yet. Certainly, I have more energy to do activities with the children than I did before, and we do more.
gt;gt; QUESTIONS ABOUT DIABETES TONIGHT, quot;ON CALL WITH THE PRAIRIE DOC.quot; gt;gt; GOOD EVENING, AND WELCOME TO quot;ON CALL WITH THE PRAIRIE DOCquot;. JUST OVER 9% OF THE UNITED STATES' POPULATION OR 29.1 MILLION MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN HAVE DIABETES. BUT MORE DISTURBING IS THAT OF THE 29 MILLION, 8 MILLION ARE LIVING UNDIAGNOSED SO THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAVE IT. AND WHAT ABOUT THE DIAGNOSISé
FROM 1980 TO 2009, THE NUMBER OF ADULTS DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES IN THE U.S. MORE THAN TRIPLED, RESULTING IN 176 BILLION DOLLARS IN DIRECT HEALTH CARE COSTS ANNUALLY. IS IT THE WAY WE TEST OR WHO HAS DONE THE RESEARCH OR IS THE INSTANCE OF DIABETES REALLY CHANGING THAT MUCHé AND IF SO, WHYé TONIGHT WE ARE GOING TO DISCUSS ALL ASPECTS OF
DIABETES BUT, TO BEGIN WITH, WE SHOULD CLARIFY THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TYPE 1 AND TYPE 2 DIABETES. TYPE 1 DIABETES, FORMERLY CALLED JUVENILEONSET, AFFECTS 5% OF THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DIABETES. THE BODY'S IMMUNE SYSTEM DESTROYS THE CELLS THAT RELEASE INSULIN, EVENTUALLY ELIMINATING INSULIN PRODUCTION FROM THE BODY. TYPE 2 DIABETES, FORMERLY CALLED ADULTONSET, AFFECTS THE REMAINING 95% OF PEOPLE WITH DIABETES. TYPE 2 CAN DEVELOP AT ANY AGE BUT, UNFORTUNATELY, WE ARE SEEING A TYPE 2 INCREASE IN CHILDHOOD. IN TYPE 2,
THE BODY ISN'T ABLE TO USE INSULIN THE RIGHT WAY. THIS IS CALLED INSULIN RESISTANCE. TONIGHT, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT DIABETES I AM JOINED BY RICHARD CRAWFORD M.D., OF THE AVERA MEDICAL GROUP ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES IN SIOUX FALLS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING US, RICHARD. gt;gt; THANKS FOR HAVING ME, RICK. gt;gt; SO ANYTHING IN THAT THOSE EARLIER COMMENTS THAT LEND ITSELF TO FURTHER DESCRIPTIONé
gt;gt; WELL, I THINK YOU MENTIONED JUST THE INCREDIBLE EXPLOSION THAT WE'VE SEEN IN DIABETES AND WHY IS THAT. CERTAINLY TYPE 2 DIABETES IS GETTING MORE COMMON. WE THINK IT'S THE FACT THAT WE'RE MORE SEDENTARY, MORE OBESITY, MAYBE THE TYPE OF FOODS WE'RE EATING, ALL THESE THINGS THAT ARE LEADING TO BOTH CHILDHOOD OBESITY AS WELL, OBESITY IN ADULTHOOD. INTERESTINGLY, TYPE 1 DIABETES IS ALSO INCREASING AND BEING AUTOIMMUNE, IS THERE SOMETHING ABOUT, AGAIN, OUR ENVIRONMENT THAT IS AFFECTING THE AUTOIMMUNE SYSTEM WHERE WE'RE
SEEING MORE OF THAT, TOO. WE DON'T REALLY KNOW THOSE ANSWERS AS TO WHAT THAT IS BUT THEY'RE BOTH GETTING MORE COMMON AND, THEREFORE, A HUGE PROBLEM IN OUR SOCIETY. gt;gt; I MEAN, AND YOU THINK IT'S MORE COMMON NOT JUST BECAUSE WE'RE DIAGNOSING THEM MORE, THAT THE THEY'RE REALLY HAPPENING. gt;gt; THEY'RE REALLY HAPPENING AND THAT'S THE THOUGHT, ANYWAY. AGAIN, A LARGE NUMBER OF THE TYPE 2 DIABETICS ARE UNDIAGNOSED. SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT MANY YEARS AGO, THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION DID KIND OF CHANGE THE DEFINITION FASTING SUGAR OF 140, NOW IT'S 126. THAT MIGHT HAVE THROWN A FEW PEOPLE IN THERE BUT EVEN STILL, IT'S DEFINITELY INCREASED.